Friday, April 13, 2012

Hold me Closer.. It's Gettin Dark...

So after a long day entertaining my boys at LazerZone (Laser Tag).. I dropped them off at home and decided to make the trip over the river and through the woods to one of my favorite quilt stores.

My plan was to get some good pillowcase fabrics for the April FNSI Conkerr Cancer Pillowcase drive.

It's been a cloudy, rainy & windy day. I had only been in the store about 5 minutes when all of a sudden.. it went dark. The only light was from a couple windows.. but not much at all.

There were only 2 other customers in there besides me. And we all got a good chuckle because the other two BOTH had flashlights in their purses.

Can you believe that? Do you carry a flashlight in your purse? I felt so inadequate.

We used their flashlights to light the cutting table so we could get our fabrics cut. I must say, this was a FIRST for me. It was pretty fun and funny! And, thank goodness I had cash on me - since the debit card machine wasn't working either.

Needless to say - even in the dark I managed to get quite a bit of fabric.


These are all for pillowcases. A lot of my fabrics were even on the "sale" table. SCORE!



I have no idea why this picture turned sideways. Its the only flannel that I bought. I thought it might be good for an outdoorsy teen boy. Very "Minnesota" with the deer, moose and bear. It's very soft.


And this is my favorite - The Jetson's. Do you remember The Jetson's? This was my all time favorite cartoon as a kid! I'm singing the theme song right now as I type this!! 

Anyway - I'm getting a head start on my pillowcase sewing this weekend.

We are so grateful for all of you who are participating in this months Friday Night Sew-In. These pillowcases go together so quick and will definitely put a smile on someones face!

Pin It

20 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Funny, I am at my computer with a flash light in my back pocket right now. In Mid-Missouri strong storms are rolling through. In Oklahoma city where my daughter and her husband who is a TV weatherman live ) storms are going on there too.
Maybe if I lose electricity I can get out the treadle machine after the computer goes down!
do you make the pillow cases in a tube and then pull them out! I love to make them that way.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

check this way out http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MrYWCma9wgM

Quilter Kathy said...

There is Jetsons fabric?!?!? Woohoo...very cool! I'll keep my eyes open for some!

lisa said...

I started carrying a flashlight this past Jan in my purse. I had to open (at 4:30am) my store in the midst of a snowstorm (left the house at 3am usually I leave at 3:45/3:50 w/time to spare...no time to spare those days! my manager was out of town and I had no power at MY house....so I wanted to make sure if the store had no power that I could still find the alarm to turn off, call the stores near me, and my partners, and my district manager....never took it back out!

Anonymous said...

lol,Heidi i remember the jetsons,good show,lovely fabrics.xx

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Oh, that's funny! I don't carry a flashlight, but I've never been one for a diaper bag, so my carry-all really does hold a lot. Every year my husband's company has a fancy Christmas party. The first year I carried a cute little dressy clutch to go with my outfit, but I found out there is a "scavenger hunt" for odd items and our table didn't win that year. But every year since I always bring my carry-all so I have stuff on hand...scissors, bandaids, spare Cinderella panties in case my 3 yo needs a new pair, you name it, but I'll have to add a little flashlight to the mix.

Maria said...

What fun to continue shopping by flashlight. I do carry a small light in my bag as we live on 5acres and there is no lights so need one to lock the shed and walk to the house.
All you pillowcase fabrics look great.

Maddy said...

I carry a flashlight in my sewing basket because l use to go out sewing at night and when l arrived home the house would be in total darkness. So as not to wake the whole family, l needed to see the key hole.

Love your fabric choices.

Maria said...

thanks Osage Bluff Quilter for the link.
Great tutorial.

Melissa said...

Love the Jetson's fabric. That will be perfect for kiddos!

Becky said...

What a funny experience, and one you probably won't forget anytime soon. Cute fabrics! Hope you have a great weekend.

apple blossom said...

hey I've been rounding up fabric for my pillowcases too. This is going to be fun to make.

Yes, I remember the Jetsons matter-in-fact. My hubby and I were talking about them the other day and teen daughter had no clue so guess what movie I checked out of the library that we watched last weekend. Yep, Jetsons.

Looking forward to sewing.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh...how fun....I imagine lots of giggles too!

Susie said...

Hi Heidi, I loved the Jetsons they were my favourite too. I have always liked anything to do with space and watch all the sci-fi shows but the Jetsons were top of the list. I love that fabric will have to look out for it over here. Susie

kayerj said...

that is a fun selection of fabrics. I don't carry a purse, only a wallet but I do have a flashlight and extra batteries in the trunk of my car.

Unknown said...

I hope to get a few finished also thi s weekend....I am coming off of my chemo but i hope it lasts and I have a good day tomorrow....good luck to you also....

apple blossom said...

got mine up and posted

http://abis-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/

Wendyb said...

Meet George Jetson..... the song immediately comes to my mind Heidi.....one of the golden oldies!!!.....can't wait to get some of that over here in Aus! What a way to remember your shopping trip...so funny! Even funnier....I DO carry a hand powered flashlight in my bag too!!!! tee hee
sugary hugs
Wendy :O) xo

Unknown said...

Hehe..too funny! Love the Jetson's fabric! Might have to do a little search for some now.. :)

teachpany said...

I was just catching up on your posts and saw this. I do have a small flashlight in my purse, but there is also a flashlight app on my phone, which comes in very handy, and is very bright. I have a droid. I used to have a clip thing on my key ring that was also a little light, perfect for putting the key in the door lock.