Sunday, July 11, 2010

Glutton for punishment?? Let's hope not!

Do you ever do something over and over expecting different results?

Well - we've done it again and we are praying for different results.

Those of you who know me "in the real world" know that my husband has a daughter from a previous relationship. She is 21 years old now. I've known her since she was 6 and she has always lived in another state but we see her frequently.

She's wanted to live with us more than once in her life - starting when she was 10 years old. We've always said yes and it usually lasts for a few months (even days one time) and she goes back. Without going into great detail - let me just say that her home with her Mom is very unstable and chaotic.

Anyway - about 15mths ago - she became a Mommy herself. We tried to move her to Arizona with us when she was pregnant so she could go to school and get her degree like she wanted, but she only lasted a few days with us. And when she left that time - we said "NEVER AGAIN" because it was just too hard.

Well, over the past 15mths - she has expressed more than once how much she knows she made a mistake and how hard it is to work and support a baby. We just nodded our heads in agreement. Not willing to go through it all again.  But then a week ago.. the call came. Her living situation was turned upside down. And her Mom's house is no longer a place she can raise her little baby. So we told her to quit her job, pack up her car and come.

So - call us crazy!!! But what parent turns their back on their kid?!! Especially when she's a hard worker - wants to go to college (badly) and doesn't drink or do drugs. She just needs a safe place for her and her baby.

So she drove all night last night and arrived this morning. My boys are all over this little baby girl. She's adorable.. and I have so many sewing ideas for her.



Please say a little prayer for her - pray that this time she has the strength to finally cut the ties from all the chaos.

Also - I've started to unpack the sewing room finally! And I will have some projects to show you later this week. And I will be sewing for the Friday Night Sew-In for sure!!! Pin It

29 comments:

Bobbi said...

shes sooooo cute!!! it will all work out...she realizes that she has to make a change for her and her daughter. you get to make a bunch of girly stuff! WOOHOO

collettakay said...

I pray that all goes well this time. Enjoy your time together as a family!

OliveStreetStudio said...

I hope it all works out for her and you this time. She's a mom now herself and has that adorable little bundle to think of! :-)

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best, and admire your willingness to give them another try, hoping against hope.
Kids always deserve hope. it's a gift you're giving. Good luck.

JoyLeanne said...

My prayers are with you. You are an amazingly strong woman! Enjoy the time as a family and sewing for the cute baby girl!

Marie said...

Prayers are coming your way girlfriend!!! Hugs, Marie

SheilaC said...

You have a BIG heart..... I am sure that all will be well....

take care
SheilaC

retdairyqueen said...

Oh I so hope for everyones sake that it works out this time

Unknown said...

I had my daughter at 19...I remember the drama, and the joys.
It took 6 years but I finished my degree and am now married and (mostly) stable lol
I know it's hard but both your step daughter and the baby will appreciate it. I'm thinking of you all.

Jane said...

Hope it all works out for everyone. She is adorable and deserves to have a bit of stability

Dawn said...

Heidi, been there, done that and it did work out so hopefully it will work out for you as well! The baby looks like such a sweetie! I know you will be glad to get your sewing room set up! Oh, I have been looking for the perfect project to use my fq winnings on from your FNSI in June, I think. I am having surgery in a few days but when I am up and around I will send you an email when I post the picture! I promise to make you proud! lol

Barb said...

That just shows you what a gentle heart you have and forgiving....and she knows that you will always be there for her.

Cute kids....

Maria said...

Hope all works out this time. Your boys look so happy to have this beautiful little one in their lives.

Lis Harwood said...

Oh you are all in my prayers, especially for strength for your daughter. She is fortunate to have your support and understanding and I think your "open door" has been very valuable to her in the chaos. Her little girl is adorable, I hope it's the start of a new and better life for them.

Annie said...

I pray that it works out for your family and that your husbands daughter can stay strong enough to fulfill her potential. We all need someone to give us a hand at times and you are very generous to continue to extend yours. Her little girl is beautiful and is obviously bring much joy into your families life.

Jess in Progress said...

Kudos to her for taking the first step to make a better life for herself and her daughter! and Kudos to you for being there. Cutting the cord is very difficult (I had to do the same thing as an adult with my Mom). I hope everything works out :) and I'm praying for your family.

Libby said...

What a sweet baby!! I pray that she does things differently now that she is a Mommy. A baby changes everything!

Kim said...

How good of you to open your heart and home once again. What fun to have a little girl to sew for!! I'll pray that your stepdaughter takes this opportunity and runs with it!

Jamie said...

All the best Heidi!

Helen in Switzerland said...

Heidi,
I'm sending you good luck, strength and prayers. Your step-daughters little girl is adorable and what you are doing is the right thing. Maybe it will work out and maybe it won't, but you are showing your step-daughter that you care and that she is important to you and when she comes from a chaotic situation, then that is about as important as it gets. Love goes a long way....Thinking of you!

Luv 2 Kreate said...

You hit the nail on the head, we never turn our backs on our children! Praying it all works out this time. hopefully, that sweet precious girl will give her the strength to stick with it this time!

Patty said...

What a cutie! Hoping everything will work out.

Anonymous said...

I'll keep you guys in my prayers. We're going through a similar situation with my middle daughter, though she's not as old lol Your granddaughter is a cutie. I hope all goes well :)

Marie said...

it'll work out -- it just has to....no ands, ifs or buts....it will....

Deepa said...

I hope everything is fine now. How is it going?

Hugs from India,
Deepa

Tiffany said...

Beautiful photographs. She's very lucky to have you, to have a safe and caring place to call home. I will keep a good thought for a positive outcome. I would totally want to deck that little girl out in cute girlie fashions. What fun! Best wishes.

Dorrie said...

Good job, Heidi. It truly is reward in itself to be the better person. She needs you and you're there.
Enjoy!

Vivian said...

You did the right thing. Now, I pray she does the right thing and goes back to school to make a better life for her and her baby.

Monica said...

Oh my God Heidi, the baby is absolutely adorable!!!! How can you say NO to that?! I totally understand your decision, it's the right one. That little baby girl will have all of you wrapped around her finger...It looks that way already with the boys. I'm glad you have the opportunity to make a difference in their lives. Let's hope this time is for good
:-)