Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Comb your hair and put on a bra.. companies coming!!

So my husband leaves for work this morning at around 6:00am.. I'm up with one eye open, hairs a mess (thank you humidity).. getting the coffee brewing.

About 15 minutes after he leaves - he calls to tell me one of his coworkers is stopping by on her way to work.. she has something for me. My reply.. "UM.. what?.. now?.. dang!"

I met her last Thursday when we first arrived - a gang of his coworkers came to help us unload the moving truck. All amazingly nice people! She is a HUGE knitter - she even proofs patterns everyday at work on her breaks. She told my husband she'd love to teach me to knit.. and when winter comes I'm going to take her up on it.

Anyway.. back to the delivery...

She brought me some fresh strawberries and rhubarb!!!

Look at how ripe these berries are! I've tasted a few and ZOWIE.. they are G.O.O.D!!! But as you can see, they are very ripe and won't last long.

So in the middle of some unpacking.. I'm going to make some jam today. Strawberry Rhubarb jam in fact. I just need to find the right recipe. I want one without a ton of sugar cuz I don't like super sweet.. and these berries are sweet as it is. I just need to offset the tart rhubarb.

Know of any recipes? Pin It

13 comments:

Shaina said...

I don't have any recipes for you, but strawberry rhubarb is one of my favorite pies! jam would be delightful.. Hope you find a great recipe!

Kim said...

Buy yourself a box of SURE JELL premium fruit pectin. The recipe for low or no sugar added is inside the box. :-D

Kay Lynne said...

Yummy--Our strawberry season has been over for a several weeks in NW Ohio, but we sure enjoyed it while it lasted!

Maria said...

Sorry can't help with the jam recipe Heidi but what a delicious delivery. Yummy!!!

Needled Mom said...

Wow...they do look yummy. How nice was that to drop them off for you????

Libby said...

I had to laugh at your post header!!! My Dad seems to always show up at my house before I get my bra on. I have to yell out "Wait, wait!! I've got to put on a bra!!!" Poor Daddy!

Have fun making your jam! Yummy!

Denise said...

Those strawberries would be worth getting up and putting on the bra, LOL! What a nice yummy treat.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

If you add a bit of orange peel and a tablespoon of orange juice to the strawberry/rhubarb it somehow seems to smooth it all out.

Liz B. said...

Very jealous...the strawberries here in Maine were small and few this year. Also gram's rhubarb plant seems to have died! We relied on last year's frozen berries and an emergency rhubarb donation from my aunt for out pie on the 4th.

Bev C said...

Hello Heidi, I hope your jam worked out. Gosh those strawberries look so delicious. Happy unpacking!!!
Bev.xoxo

Micki said...

Your jam will be yummy...try making it with honey instead of adding so much sugar.
Micki

Kathi said...

mmm.... you should send some to the desert... :) we don't get that yummy stuff here!

Barb said...

I have never had rhubarb...but the strawberries look awesome.