Saturday, March 27, 2010

Postage Stamp Quilt along - Tutorial part II

It's been way too long since I posted anything on the Postage Stamp Quilt along - I hope you haven't given up yet.

The more I get done on this quilt - the more excited I get. It's a lot of work, but it does goe together very fast once you get past the cutting.

Remember as you put your strips together to make your section (or block), that you start some with dark colors on ends and some with your lighter (or white/cream) on the ends. See the difference in the blocks below?

This ensures that when you go to piece your sections together - you won't end up with all cream or all dark in the corner when the 4 corners meet. Does that make sense? I know more than one of you has asked that question - so I wanted to clarify. You can see the center where each block meets in picture below.

If you are making good progress - I would love to see them. I will have more blocks to show you next weekend.

Have fun - and let me know if you have any questions. Don't forget to post pictures to the Flickr group if you can! Pin It

11 comments:

Maria said...

Oh Heidi I am still at the cutting stage.Too many projects!! Yes does make sense doing light/dark starts.

Thank you.

Grethe said...

This looks nice,Heidi.Great work, good idea to use all the bits and piece.Suppose the cut is 1 1/2". I`ll keep it in mind,may be one of these days :-)

Jane said...

I didn't sign up originally, as I didn't think I could do it. After seeing how clear the instructions were, I've made three sections so far. Just bought some more of the light fabric to continue making more

Mikol said...

I'm loving mine. I am doing purples and cream, and have just sewn 6 sections together. Now to cut some more strips to start another round. Thanks Heidi!

Elizabeth said...

I'm a new follower, So excited to participate in your next Friday Sew-In. That's the night I usually get my sewing in so it's going to be so perfect!

Needled Mom said...

It's looking great so far.

Joanne said...

Thanks for the reminder, I have lots of strips cut, waiting to be sewn!♥

Pat said...

Love your work, Heidi. Great blog.

Pegasus4u said...

Wouw, that´s a lovely work!!! I'm all on edge to see more blocks..

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

just wondering how everyone's postage stamp quilts are coming along?? Anyone have photos to share?

Lois said...

I got mine back from the long arm quilter last week and finished it with a red binding. Looks great!