Monday, March 1, 2010

Karate and the Farmer...

My boys are both in Karate this year and they love it. They are only 6 weeks away from testing for their yellow belts. Well last week their Sensei, Rick, gave the parents a homework assignment to put their names on their uniforms.
So funny...

Anyway - I dusted off my Mom's sewing machine (with embroidery) this afternoon and got to work (last minute of course since class is tonight at 5:15)

I only made one mistake.. I first put the wrong name on the wrong uniform. So, I had a good chuckle at myself.. then pulled out my trusty friend the seam ripper and started over.

 
Finally.. success. Maybe I'll offer to help other parents tonight if they don't have theirs done yet. I might regret that.. but I'm going to do it anyway.

Now - something totally different.... I went this morning to my favorite LQS and stocked up on some Verna by Kate Spain for Moda.. I was a little surprised how fast they have sold it. They had the entire line and quite a few bolts were already gone. But I was able to get enough to satisfy my need.

Then I found this book on my way to the register.. I remembered it from a few months back. I saw it on someone's blog and can't remember who it was for the life of me. Anyway - I grabbed it and can't wait to start reading it. It is filled with letters from 1920's farm wives and the 111 quilt blocks that they inspired.


Have you ever seen it? Read it? Were you inpired by it?
Pin It

12 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like a great book! My boys are just starting karate this month. They are so excited! I'm glad that your boys enjoy it.

Bobbi said...

it looks like a good book. ill have to check it out. LOL on the wrong name thing. jello, our brains are jello.

kimland said...

A friend of mine has the book and I was in Awe... once upon a time I was "the farmers wife" and now my daughter is "the farmers wife." Said, friend and I had numerous discussions about the book and the little blocks... WELL, friend has ordered me a copy of the book and is encouraging me to do this quilt as a legacy to my daughter and write her a letter about being a farmers wife, etc. I REALLY do want to do this quilt but, have determined it will be a project I take my time doing (probably years) and one day when my daughter has years of being "the farmers wife" I will give her the quilt with my letter.

I actually whet into friends favorite quilt shop and was ready to buy the fabrics, similar to those used in the book and the shop owner discouraged me...she said I should do this quilt in my daughters colors so she would enjoy it more. Doing it in the colorways of the book would probably just make a quilt she would keep in her cedar chest and not one she would use and love. My idea...is to sneek a few shirts from her family and incorperate them into the quilt.

Libby said...

I have not seen this book yet. It sounds great though, I cant wait for you to let us know what you think.
Libby

CJ said...

I've never seen that book but sounds interesting. I can believe that your LQS was out of some VERNA...it is a GORGEOUS line!

Alice Grace said...

I will have to look for that book! I saw a tv program on it with Sewing with Nancy. She had the winner of a contest on her program. And she read some from the book on the program. It was great!

Val said...

The boys are so cute! You did really good on their names. I have not heard of the book but it sounds like something that me and my Mom would love to read.

Wendy said...

I've been looking at this book lately. Thinking I might get it. Could you give us a few pics of a couple pages?

Cheryl said...

How sweet are your boys!!! Enjoy each and every second because soon they will be all grown up....way too fast I might add. My babies are 30 and 27!

bingo~bonnie said...

Spiral made herself a second blog to document about her Farmers Wife project - you can read it here:
http://spiralj4.blogspot.com/

her regular blog is here: http://spiralj2.blogspot.com/

I love following her and her project. ;)

Also earlier this year I read where Pigtales&Quilts blog is planning a quilt along on this - here is where she blogged about it:
http://www.pigtalesandquilts.com/2010/01/farmers-wife-sewalong.html

HOpe this helps you - I've not seen the book in person yet but after seeing it in blogland it's on my Amazon wishlist! ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Anonymous said...

I've read the letters, quite inspiring, but haven't started working on any blocks. I'll have to check out blogs that Bingo-Bonnie wrote about.

Everyday Quilter said...

I just found your blog and was skimming through it. I saw you asking if anyone had read this book. I too, was intrigued with it and purchased it. Then, one of my favorite quilt shops said they were doing a BOM with it. They used EQ to put the patterns into paper pieced patterns instead of using the templates - well that can't be hard, I thought. I'm in my 2nd month and ready to pull my hair out! As usual, I'm sure I'll be pleased with the end product which will be for ME and only ME!