Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Times have changed

First - I know you are curious about the class this morning. It was wonderful. I learned so much and not only that.. fixed my issue. It was THREAD!!! Can you believe how easy that was. Apparently my machine doesn't like 100% cotton thread for free motion quilting.

The Teacher was great - and she had a ton of great tips for us. Below is a sample of my work.. I attempted the alphabet.. I got to "k".
I can't wait to get to work on finishing some quilt tops that I've been holding onto until this was fixed.

Now for something so funny! The teacher of today's class started by reading a paragraph out of a 1949 Singer Sewing Machine Manual.



"Advice from a 1949 Singer Sewing Manual

Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.

Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on.

If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should."

Can you believe that? Now, I admit, I do try and look good for my husband on a regular basis, however, I frequently sew in my jammie or sweatpants without makeup. How about you?

When I got home from the class, I must have been feeling domestically guilty. I threw in a load of laundry and cleaned out the fridge. And I'm proud to say that while cleaning out the fridge, I only discovered 1 science experiment.

Then I made this pie.

The boys and I will be enjoying it tonight after dinner.

Then I think I'll put on some lipstick and go sew!

Pin It

24 comments:

Bobbi said...

That is hilarious!!!! I don't even wear lipstick at work. I can't wait for u to show me how to do it!!

Libby said...

Very Funny! But you know what? If I know that I have housework that has to be done like laundry, dishes, etc. I can't relax while I'm sewing! My mind keeps going back to those things! I have alot more fun if I get those "chores" out of the way!
Libby

LyndaG said...

Thanks for a good laugh - I had an old home ec book that gave similar advice. I think the biggest difference today is we have choices.

Georgia said...

What kind of thread did the teacher recommend? I've had the exact same problem but thought it was operator error. I always thought that cotton quilts should be quilted with 100% cotton.

Leah Spencer said...

Thankfully thread's a cheap fix!

Anyhow, I wouldn't completely give up on cotton thread, but just wind one bobbin up with the thread and test drive it on some scraps and batting. That's what I do, and it also helps me check the tension in general.

If the thread doesn't work out, I just save it for my piecing and not free-motioning. But it's sure a happy day when you've got good tension! :)

Sandy said...

I love it!!! would you mind if I added it on a post on my blog?

Lisa at Sun Naturals said...

I don't think my machine likes cotton thread either. Which type of thread did you have sucess with?

Unknown said...

Oh the old days. I'm a vain person, I'll be honest about that, but honey my hubby has seen me without make-up as often as with, actually that was one of my "signs". I was comfortable enough to let him see me that way, and me ok with it.
My sewing machine, being a BFF, is totally ok with no make up and comfy clothes.

Heidi said...

She had me use Sulky from JoAnns. It's actually embroidery thread and it's Rayon. She said that it's all she uses because she also likes the sheen.

But she also directed us to www.superiorthreads.com and said that every question you could have about thread is on their site. I haven't looked yet.

A lot of times she said it's the weight of the thread.

I had 100% cotton in my bobbin but used the Rayon on top and it worked great.

And she also said that she prefers Schmetz needles - she said she has the best luck with size 10/70

And Yes Sandy, you can post this on your blog. Thank you for asking!

Amy said...

Bravo! I'm so glad you got your tension problems resolved. I do feel a little guilty. I love to sew in my flannel pajamas. I thought comfort was the key but I guess I better step it up for my husband. LOL

Needled Mom said...

I'm glad that you had such a great day and got the problems sorted out.

I have seen that ad before and thought it was hysterical. I have it up in my sewing room.

Tammy said...

oh my gosh, it's a good thing i'm sewing now instead of then because comfort is a high priority when quilting for me. interesting about the thread you were using being the problem with quilting, it amazes me how much thread can make a difference and with so many to choose from out there, oy vey, it can be a challenge at times.

Angie said...

With my machine, I needed quality thread, the cotton part didn't matter. Before I'd always just used coats and clark, but nope.

If I'm going to be at my sewing machine all day, I dress down. No makeup, jeans, and a tshirt.

Patty said...

Miss m\Manners probably wrote that little ditty about sewing. Most likely it was a man.lol! I sew in what ever makes me feel comfortable and usually in between laundry and such. Funny I rarely feel guilty if my bed's not made or the dishes aren't done.
I'm not surprised that it was thread causing all the fuss. My sister is a longarm quilter and every now and then runs into trouble with certain thread. She thinks it a combination of some Moda fabric and thread,but it doesn't happen all the time.

Poppyprint said...

Aha - that's why my sewing has been frustrating of late. I hadn't given enough attention to my appearance, the laundry and the dishes first. It's all making sense now.....
Hilarious!!! Thanks for posting that.

Maria said...

OMG How we have changed thank goodness.

So pleased you enjoyed your class and learnt a lot. Great you worked out the problem with your machine. Now go girl.Free motion is fun and I am only a beginner too.Have mastered stipple.

Crystal Hendrix said...

LOL I sew in my pajamas!! I haven't put makeup on all week!! Although I did clean my fridge tonight too...so hopefully that will make up for my lack of cleaning! :D

Thanks for the info on what was making your sewing machine bad! :D

Sue said...

I loved reading about the old days when women spent their lives pandering to hubby. Was it better back then? Maybe it was.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I would never get any sewing done. Thanks for posting it, love to read about the olden days.

Comfort Cove Designs said...

LOL too funny!!! The best way to sew is in flannel pj bottoms and t-shirt with big old wooley socks!! As for Makeup.. WHAT MAKEUP!!! LOL

As for priorities.. forget the housework.. bring on the quilting!

lol

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Val said...

So cute! Housework? If you do flylady it helps. That is really funny. I love it. I am like you I love p.j.'s!!!

Val said...

I forgot to ask you a question...what kind of thread are you supposed to use? And also I forgot to say how pretty that pie is. Yum.

Nichole said...

what a great quote. how the times sure have change.d

canuckquilter said...

Thanks for the "Advice". We all need a daily chuckle :)