Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ready for this one??

Ok.. by the end of this post you will say one of 3 things..

1. OMG, I want to make those.. they look good.

2. Never in your wildest dreams would I eat that.

3. I've tried em.. and don't like em.

Pickled Eggs!! So I'll give you the backstory on these bad boys. Years ago.. "back in the day" there was this bar that me and my single girlfriends used to go to. It was a fun little pub and they made the BEST Pickled Eggs. We would order "A pickled egg with Ranch" (and a cold beer of course) and you would get a basket of pretzels with a Pickled Egg on top and a side of Ranch Dressing to dip the pretzels in.

I know it might sound gross to some of you.. but trust me.. they are G.O.O.D. Well, after I married my husband, I moved 1,800 miles away from all the things I loved.. family, friends, and pickled eggs. LOL

Before we moved - I managed to get my husband hooked on them as well. So we came up with our own way of satisfying this craving.

First you need to buy a jar of pickles - whatever your favorite brand is.. but it CANNOT BE KOSHER DILLS! Trust me on this.. they need to be regular dill pickles.

Then you need to have someone in your house eat all the pickles and save the juice. This isn't hard for me because my husband eats them like I drink milk.

And to give them that extra "kick" we add Peperoncini Peppers. The pub had them in their's as well. I usually add about 1/2 a jar of Peperoncini's to the Pickle jar.

Hard boil 9 - 12 eggs, peel them and cool in ice water. Then add them to the jar.


Now the hardest part.. you have to put them in the fridge and wait for a week before you eat them.

So - which one are you? 1, 2 or 3?

Pin It

22 comments:

Bobbi said...

we come from the same town, same family...but thats one thing ive never tried. BUT im always game! they actually sound tasty! AJ would eat them :)

Patty said...

I've tried them not crazy about 'em but on occasion I'll eat em. I I never thought of using leftover pickle juice. My husband just told me he'd try them.

Krystal said...

I've never had one.

But I like hard boild eggs!

And I like pickles!

Im sooo going to try this! I bet they would make my farts smell so rancid that my husband will sleep on the couch and I can have the bed all to myself!

Judy C said...

I like them and will try this soon, now who wants a pickle?

Unknown said...

I would try them.....I like pickles....

Della said...

We do these all the time in any kind of hot pepper juice. We also do them with pickled beets. I don't know anyone that doesn't love them.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Way way back in my day we got pickled eggs at the bar too, remember I said wayyyyyy back. Anywho they had beet juice in them as well. Hadn't thought about pickled eggs in ages, maybe that is a good thing but they are very good!

Needled Mom said...

I love them, but I make mine with pickled beet juice. They are the most luscious color that way too. Give it a try.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I'm a one!! We had something similar when we were growing up, but seasoned with caraway seed! Yum!

Poppyprint said...

Definitely #2 because of what Krystal said!! You know, there's a reason that you can only find them in bars..you have to be hammered to eat them!!

Val said...

Well, I am #1. My mouth is watering right now! I had no idea that they were that easy to make though. Wow. That would be good to snack on during a Friday Night Sew In, huh?

Sue said...

Wow you just reminded me how much I love these lil babies. I do mine with malt vinegar, sugar and pickling spices. If you leave the shells on but crack them all over, let them pickle in brown vinegar then shell them before serving they look like Chinese 1,000 year eggs!

Anonymous said...

Ok I am actually a 1 and 2. They look like something I saw in a Alien t.v. series I recently rented from netflix.

ButI love pickles and hard boiled eggs.

I am also a total wimp when it comes to trying semi strange or new things.

I want to try it though. its always the creepy looking things that surprise you when you taste them.

Now if only I can keep my hubby from drinking the juice lol.

Ann Flowers
flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

Mikol said...

I have never tried a pickled egg, I guess I'll have to one day so I can say I have. Maybe I'll have to make a couple after our pickles are gone.

Mrs Quilty said...

Very scary thought--pickled eggs!

abi said...

Sound good to me. My mom makes a pickled beat hard boiled egg. Using pickled beat juice. May have to try this

CJ said...

#3
I used to work in a deli. Enuff said.

dianne said...

i'm happy to see that i am not the only one who has eaten (and LIKED) pickled beet juice eggs - they are GOOD! and they are PRETTY! cuz they are PINK!

Lis Harwood said...

Sorry, I'm a 2, yucky yuck!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

MMMM Pickled eggs. Growing up we always pickled our using the liquid from pickled beets, so then they are pink too!

crochet_carol said...

I pickled eggs in everything...pickle juice of any kind, pepper juice and even pickle bologna juice..anything that has vinegar😁 it is all amazing...I love it!

BriceboBaggins said...

Just out of curiosity…….why don’t you recommend using kosher dills?